Wolf Connection’s Wolf Therapy is an education and empowerment program with wolfdogs as the centerpiece. With the help of these magnificent animals, men and women from all walks of life learn about nature and conservation, work through the challenges in their lives, learn to be of service by responsibly caring for another living being, and work towards becoming the kind of person they want to be. With the guidance of trained staff, Wolf Therapy participants get to process and assimilate their experiences with the wolves in ways that help them:
- Identify the characteristics of a healthy peer-group and reduce aggression, segregation, and peer rivalry
- Understand the nature of human relationships and the circumstances leading to love, support and empowerment, as well as cruelty, abuse and neglect
- Develop constructive community based on understanding, love and respect in order to increase collaboration and mutual acceptance
- Learn effective communication skills, both in positive and challenging situations
- Focus on their impulses, feelings and emotions in positive ways
- Learn to forgive and give others (and themselves) a second chance
- Reflect on the true meaning of loyalty, honesty, integrity, courage, perseverance, success and failure, contribution to society, commitment, sense of purpose, leadership, and self confidence
- Increase environmental and social awareness
- Deepen their understanding and respect for all forms of life
The Wolf Connection Wolf Therapy Program is…
- Holistic modeled – addresses the mind, the body, and the spirit
- An effective interactive approach for youth empowerment and social awareness
Why is Wolf Connection’s Wolf Therapy program community-centered?
- We begin the discussion focusing on the wolves and then relate it to daily situations in the participants’ lives
- We discuss ways in which we can protect and enjoy the wonders that the world provides us
- We develop the principle that human beings treat nature the way they treat each other
- Young men and women naturally determine the social norms they live by–what’s OK and what’s not–in their lives and in their social groups… so we’ll discuss some norms that support their growth and contribution, and some that don’t
How does the Wolf Connection Wolf Therapy program compliment other efforts?
Even though Wolf Connection functions as a stand-alone program, it can also be an excellent enhancement experience to peer helping, diversity education, conflict mediation, and other character building initiatives.
In addition, the Wolf Connection Wolf Therapy program can be complimentary to standard academic curriculum in the areas of natural sciences, anthropology, human history and evolution, behavioral studies, ecology and conservation, and moral and civic education.
It may also fit within various elective courses in the area of world cultures, traditions, myths and legends, spirituality, sustainability and balanced living, and community service among others.